Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Perfect Grilled Cheese–Every Time!

My all time favorite comfort food is grilled cheese and tomato soup.  A simple sandwich that can easily be dressed  up or enjoyed plain.  I’m pretty terrible at getting the pan the right temperature and I flip the sandwich too much.  I end up with a soggy side and a burned side when I use the usual stove method. 

Gather the usual suspects.  Bread, cheese (I prefer shredded, it heats more evenly), salt and pepper and whichever other seasonings you like.

Preheat your waffle iron on the highest setting.  Butter your bread on both sides if you like.  I don’t usually have butter that is soft enough for spreading so I skip this step.  I do love to sprinkle a bit of Italian seasonings on the inside of my sandwich. 

Once your waffle iron is preheated place your sandwich in the middle, close it up and set your timer for 4 minutes.  The general rule with any waffle in a waffle iron is when the steaming stops your waffle is ready.  I’m pretty sure it works with this too. 

I once made the mistake of using a too thick (1/4 inch) slice of cheese and WHOA! it was a cheesplosion that I was cleaning up for a good bit.  You can never really go wrong with shredded cheese or the usual American cheese slices.

The nice part of using the waffle iron is you get the little pockets of melty cheese mixed with the bits of crunchy cheese on the edges. You can add so many different things to the sandwich: bacon, ham, avocado, tomato, thinly sliced green apple, a bit of hummus (our favorite). I might try a beet and goat cheese next time just for something really different!

Kidster and Little Man will devour these sandwiches in no time!  I love that it’s easy to cut into perfect little squares.

Grilled Cheese Waffle

Check back next Wednesday when I show you how to make a savory waffle that Kidster and Little Man love!  It’s become a refrigerator staple for a healthy filling snack time.

What is YOUR favorite grilled cheese?

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!