Monday, July 28, 2014

Homemade Honey Nut Cheerios

Recently our local market had huge boxes of cheerios on sale for a pittance.  I bought them because Kidster and Little Man will eat them with a banana for breakfast and I hoping Hubster would replace his usual kolache at work for something a bit more healthy.  Kidster started to get bored with them and I wanted to ‘season’ them a bit when I came across this blog post Homemade Honey Nut Cheerios
The ingredients are pretty straightforward:
  • 2 Cups Cheerios
  • 1 T honey
  • 1/4 t almond extract (next time I’ll use less, it was a bit over powering)
Put everything into a pot on medium heat.  Stir to make sure it’s all being well coated.  Continue for about 3 minutes. 
Cool on a pan or silicone mat.  We ate them right away and they were really sticky.  The blogger recommended leaving them on the pan/mat overnight to let the honey really soak in and they should be less sticky.  I need to do that next time for sure. 
Kidster wasn’t too sure about the sticky mess, Little Man was too young to have honey at the time, but Hubster and I loved them.  I wonder if next time I could just roll them up into balls and bake for a bit to crunch them up?
DIY Honey Nut Cheerios
Check back next Monday when I show you how to make simple baked mini corn dogs!
What is YOUR favorite Cheerio recipe?
~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!