Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cheese Waffle

This week’s Waffle Iron Wednesday we’re making a cheese waffle.  It’s a basic waffle but with a cheesey twist.  Imagine a waffle and a cheese it had a little baby waffle and there you go.  The recipe makes about 12 or so waffles that I cut into segments and then stored in the refrigerator. 

I’m pretty sure I came across this recipe Cheese Waffle Recipe while trying to find new ways to use my waffle iron.  These waffles were soooo good Hubster and I had a hard time NOT eating them all in one sitting.  Keep in mind that most waffles do not reheat well in the microwave.  It’s just as easy to plug in your waffle iron, let it heat up  for a minute and then place the waffle back on the waffle iron for about a minute or two and there you go.  A perfectly crunchy reheated waffle.  I made a few adjustments because I was making these waffles for a toddler who needed a bit more healthy waffle.

  • 2 c flour (I used half flour, half brown rice cereal)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c milk
  • 3 T vegetable or canola oil (I used coconut oil instead)
  • 1 c cheddar cheese grated
    • I also added a bit of Italian seasoning to my waffle batter just to make it a bit more ‘savory’

Now for the directions.  Keep in mind that every waffle iron is a bit different so always keep in mind the rule of thumb.  If the steam stops rising from the iron then the waffle is probably finished.

  1. Preheat waffle iron
  2. Combine the flour, powder/soda, and salt in a bowl.  Whisk together.
  3. Add the cheese and make sure to coat it with the flour mixture (this will help the cheese stay separated).  It’s really important that you make sure the cheese is really well coated with the flour mixture.  It makes a big difference and keeps the cheese from getting clumped together.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil.
  5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and whisk to combine. 
  6. Pour about 1/3 c of the batter into the greased waffle iron and cook 3-5 minutes.  (I didn’t grease mine, the brand of waffle iron that I have seems to be impervious to sticky stuff…crazy.)

(Forgive the weird photos this time around.  I’m trying out a new way of posting the photos that just doesn’t want to do what I want it to. Grrrrrr. )

IMG_1458

 

IMG_1459

Check back next Wednesday when I show you how to make a delicious stuffed French toast (thanks to my mom friend McMommy!)

What is YOUR favorite savory breakfast dish?

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!