Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lisa's Chicken Ooopsala

Yesterday hubby decided to put together a bike so I decided to try making dinner.  I knew I had chicken and mushrooms and carrots.  So I started flipping through my handy dandy cookbook, "Favorite Brand Names Best-Loved Recipes".  I bought it for $3 at Half Priced Books!  This is the cover if you wondering:
There was a recipe for "Chicken Bistro" and another one for "Chicken Marsala".  I didn't have some of the ingredients for one and the other so I combined them!  Hence the name "Ooopsala".

I'm terrible with meat cooking in general, I have to have hubby check to see if it's done most of the time.  I was in one of those rare moods and really wanted to make him something yummy so I figured I would suck it up and use my 'women's intuition' to figure it out myself. Keep in mind that at 6 months pregnant my women's intuition has turned into preggo brain and I get distracted / stressed out easily!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts filleted in half
1 tbls butter
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
4 large peeled cloves of garlic, cut in half
2 x 1/3 cup chicken broth (1/3 extra if you need it)
1/3 cup Marsala cooking wine (or leftover red wine)
  • Sprinkle seasonings onto one side of the chicken. 
  • Melt butter in large skillet on medium high heat.
  • Place chicken seasonings side down and cook for 5 minutes.  Do not turn over.
  • After 5 minutes turn over the chicken
  • Place mushrooms, carrots, garlic, 1/3 chicken broth and wine in pan (add the extra 1/3 cup chicken broth if you desire)
  • Bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is done
    •    If the chicken is cooked all the way through but the carrots are not, remove chicken, keep warm, continue simmering vegetables.
  • Serve over rice or pasta
Only about 350 each serving too. 

It just won't turn upside down!  Pretty yummy though!

Hubby's plate.  He must have hated it huh?
Next time: Finally roast those pumpkin seeds?

What's your favorite cookbook?

XOXO
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!