Wednesday, February 19, 2014

"Instant" Cookies (Part 2)

This is my second installment of "Instant" cookies.  I love doing these types of recipes because I feel like it's a dual purpose.  I'm cleaning stuff out of my overfilled pantry AND making friends and family happy!

These cookies are made with instant apple cider.   I love apple cider...good steamed high quality apple cider.  NOT the instant stuff.  Yet I buy a box every season thinking I'm going to make it and it will be yummy! After the first cup I realize that it's just plain NOT good.  So it sits in my pantry until February when I clean out the cabinets and the pantry.

This time I figured I could use it for something delicious!  Voila!  Snickerdoodles with Instant Apple Cider!  Holy moly they are fantastic.  Pretty sweet but certainly tasty, especially with a homemade caramel glaze.

Here is the recipe: Caramel Apple Cider Snickerdoodle

The recipe makes them with caramel in the center but I didn't have any caramels so I figured what the heck.  When I make them again I will certainly make sure I have some caramels on hand!  I think the caramel center might cut the sweetness a bit.

Little happy balls of deliciousness!

And now with a caramel glaze!

I decided to make the caramel glaze since I didn't have any caramel to put into the center.  The glaze was so fun to make!  I felt like a real cook!  Muwahaha! I'm going to take over the cooking world!  Next thing you know I'll be hosting my own cooking show...  doubtful, I have a face for radio!  

So here is the recipe for the homemade caramel: Caramel Sauce.  Keep in mind that the recipe might have a type.  I think it was supposed to be 1 TEASPOON of vanilla and not 1 TABLESPOON of vanilla.  I read the reviews that informed of this possible typo after I had already made the stuff.  However, I was at the end of my bottle of vanilla so it ended up being close to a half a tablespoon.  I still have a jar of it left in my fridge that I put in my coffee in the morning.  

I liked the caramel recipe so much I might make homemade caramel sauce for family and friends for Christmas gifts in little baby food jars.  We shall see right?  

On another note this recipe calls for "Cream of Tartar" which has always stumped me.  Turns out that according to Wikipedia "Potassium bitartrate, also known as potassium hydrogen tartrate, with formula KC4H5O6, is a byproduct of winemaking."  So technically these cookies are a relative of wine.  

Speaking of wine, you really must visit my sister in law's blog called, "Confessions of a Wineaux"  .  Very well written and really helps you understand the wines that she's drinking at the time.  It's helped me wander away from the "4 buck Chuck."

What recipes have you used that had a weird ingredient?

Love,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!