Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Swedish Rye Bread!

(I just noticed that most of my posts have an exclamation point in the title.  I'm always so excited when something goes right that I just have to convey those feelings with punctuation.)

Swedish Rye bread has quite a few memories attached for my siblings and I.  Our grandmother was an immigrant from Sweden to Texas and stuck to her Swedish roots.  There were little plaques and maps around her house in Swedish.  She also adopted much of the Texas culture.  Thus, Swedish rye bread and gravy.  A delicious, terribly not healthy, breakfast consisting of fried Swedish rye bread smothered in cream or country gravy.  So yummy!  I've never seen it on a menu, heard of anyone else making or even made it myself.  It's never to late to rekindle a tradition though, right?

I'm actually nibbling on a slice of it right now, it's that good.  I bet it would be good with butter but I'm just too lazy. I know for a fact that it does pair quite well with a mug of apple cider!



Place 10 ounces of water, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons white sugar, and 1/4 cup Brer Rabbit light molasses in a glass bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. (Molasses smells terrible!!!  I had no idea!)


Remove, stir ingredients, and place in bread maker pan. (The original recipe left out the part about  the water in the bowl and it turned out fine, but was really hard to work with!)

Place 1/2 cup rye flour and 2 3/4 cup white bread flour on top of liquids.  Make a hole in the center of flour and place 1 1/2 teaspoon bread machine yeast in it.  

Set your controls for 1 1/2 pound loaf and medium crust (I set my machine to Whole Wheat).


The finished product as soon as it was finished!  I couldn't wait to cut into it and it was steaming when I cut it open.  A yummy crusty bread with a bit of sweetness.

What's your favorite bread machine recipe?

Next time on Fabrycated Mom: First Wedding Anniversary Gift 

XOXO
-Lisa




1 comment:

Thank you so much for commenting!!