Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pumpkin Seeds, Finally!

Daylight savings time ending has given me a whole extra hour to enjoy my Sunday.  Sundays are always over too quickly aren't they?  

Halloween has come and gone and I'm just now getting around to roasting my pumpkin seeds.  I've kept them in a plastic container in the refrigerator for a bit and so they are still fresh. I've really just been holding out for the perfect recipe.  I wanted savory, then I wanted sweet, then I wanted spicy and couldn't make up my mind!!  And then I found it.  A recipe for Sweet, Spicy and Savory Pumpkin Seeds!  It couldn't have been easier and oh boy they are delicious!  I was actually making them more for the hubby because he likes spicy stuff but I can't keep my hands off of them!


Let's get this party started!

So, to start:
  • 2 cups cleaned, washed and dried pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used salted, no difference that I noticed)
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (I only had the dried, again, no difference)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Your friendly ingredients, watch out for cayenne though!!
 Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and then stir in the brown sugar, salt, rosemary, cinnamon, cayenne and black peppers.
  • Stir for 2-3 minutes until the sugar has mostly melted (no joke, I didn't stir long enough and the sugar just clumped when I put the seeds in so use a timer if you need to.)
  • Remove from heat, and stir in the pumpkin seeds.

Smells so good!
  • Spread on a well-greased cookie sheet.   Some recipes will say to use foil for easy clean up but it will be a terror to get the seeds off.  I didn't even grease my cookie sheet, just used the non stick type and stirred, A LOT. 
Seeds!  As far as the eye can see!

  •  Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring 2-3 times during baking.  KEEP A CLOSE EYE!  They will burn, baby burn!  Once they look like this, they are ready! 

After much stirring and waiting, Voila!
My first batch is almost gone and we have friends coming over tonight for baked ribs so I'm sure they'll help us finished them off!

What's your favorite pumpkin seed recipe?

Next on Fabrycated Mom: Swedish Rye Bread (in a bread machine!)

Be sure to subscribe, I'll be giving away an Amazon Gift card within the next few weeks!

XOXO
-Lisa


2 comments:

  1. Adam brought home an orphan pumpkin and has requested pumpkin seeds. I'll have to give this a try this weekend. I have all of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious! The hardest part was waiting for the sugar to 'start to melt'. I didn't wait long enough and it clumped so be sure to really give it a solid 2 minutes! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!!